Linux Mint 19 "Tara"

Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Linux Mint 19 "Tara"

Post by Möbius »

I was running a new version of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS up until two weeks ago and quite honestly, I got tired of using it. It did every thing I wanted it to, but it was an acquired taste and one that was just a little bit too harsh.

Everything in Ubuntu seems arse-first to me, although it is invariably a first rate system (if you are inclined toward it) but it seems like a quantum leap from Windows 7 and weirdly "goofy" compared to Mint 17 & 18.

I'm not about to start criticising Ubuntu, I am however going to (briefly) extol the virtues of Linux Mint 19 "Tara" which is a version in its self, Ububtu 18.

Its fast, tidy, robust and damn reliable. In fact, it is bloody excellent in my opinion. A hands down winner in the Alternative OS race at the moment where I am concerned. It works out of the box and it works well.

Im not saying it has the gaming capacites of Microsoft; in fact falls way short and quite clearly this is the one major point that is the major dealbreaker for most Windows fans.

But, as an operating system on the whole, you could do a lot worse........but, no distro "dissing" here.

Hey, I am a user, not a programmer, and as a user, I can sort of compare this Mint system favourably with Windows 7 (oh, the halcyon days), and that is saying something!

After loosing Windows 7 about three years ago to 8 and then to 10 a short while after, I was at a loss at what to do.

So - I installed Mint 17; while initially a paupers dinner, it was a reasonable starting point for my (then) useless new machine. Thing did improve a lot for the better along the way.....

Mint 17.3 has matured fully now and is about as rock solid an OS you can get, but it has taken some time to get there (so I still use it as my core machine) and it just does what I want, without complaining or slowing down. But times, they are a changing.

Desktop

Mint 19, now comes in three different guises; I prefer Cinnamon as a prefrence. But you do have the alternative MATE edition and Xfce, which will allow you to "pimp" to your hearts content if you wish. Unfortunately KDE is no longer an option, but that's another story.

Also, I hasten to add, all the editions are 32bit and 64bit; giving you the scope to use an "older" machine rather than dual booting......which is a viable option that you may consider if you are limited on hardware, or adventurous. (If you are unaware of the procedure, there is a ton of stuff out there relating to dual boot setups and if you are handy with Windows, it is relatively easy to uninstall too.

There are some excellent apps, namely...
Timeshift (System Restore for Linux)
Firejail (Sandboxie for Linux)
VirtualBox (Say no more....)
Libre Office (Office for......)

I could go on and on but......

One of the most redeeming thing about my Mint 19 setup, or, Linux on the whole, is the fact that malware and other windows designed "crap-ware", has not got the ability to cling; it will just bounce off into oblivion. Viruses, etc, are a virtual history and therefore Anti-Virus products are mainly unnecessary (although there are one or two trusted apps that will identify any intrusions and many ways of ditching baddies) if you get too paranoid.

Also, consider using certain communication apps and especially Firefox Quantum with Firejail as an added layer of protection for the system, it becomes significantly more bulletproof than it was beforehand.

The Network Manager will have you using your subscription VPN in no time, as virtually all decent VPN's are cross platform and are undeniably the safest way to surf and keep your privacy intact these days, probably the only thing you will need to pay for in Linux Mint.

There are also a handful of ways to install apps other than command line (which is honestly the way to go) these are Aptik, Synaptic, Software Manager and Flatpacks, which are mostly free and open source and maintained by a great deal of coders, scripters and development teams worldwide, so, woe betide the "script-kids".

Snapshot Synaptic

I noticed an option of "Consider Recommended Packages" option in Synaptic. This has helped greatly installing some older apps that require "other" dependencies on their installation and this saves a shit-load of searching for ways around the app that "wont" work syndrome, but to be honest, out of the pile of stuff I have installed on this machine, I have only had to use this maybe five or six times to my knowledge. But this, however is no magic bullet......and some things remain broken.

I was a huge fan of Windows 7.
But there is a new flame in town.
Cool, young, beautiful and VERY experienced; a rare combination. :D

Linux Mint 19

(I think I love you.....)

Further reading:
https://topnewreview.com/linux-mint-19-review/

Download
https://linuxmint.com/download.php
Last edited by Möbius on 04 Aug 2018, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Re: Linux Mint 19 "Tara"

Post by OnTheLimit »

Thanks Mobi, I have just DL'ed a copy after reading this and will road test it soon!
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

I've been having a few issues with Zorin 12.2 could be because I got it from a torrent site so I think I'm going to give this a try.

-- 30 Aug 2018, 19:19 --

Well I switched over to Mint 19 on this Toshiba laptop and so fan I do like it.
Now I going to have to go to the forums and start looking around for answers for what will probable be simple questions to everyone else.

Möbius I may even be picking your mind as well. :eek:
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

I just downloaded a copy of the 19.3 version, aka "Tessa".

Looking forward to seeing how well it makes a few of the older systems perk up.

Meanwhile...

ZORIN

I see it is now up to version 12.4 and wondered if anyone had been working/playing with this one yet? :think:

And if so, was it the Ultimate version?

I'm going to scour a few of the largest torrent sites for a 64 bit version of Ultimate.
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
ChetanG
Premium User
Premium User

Post by ChetanG »

With any Linux Distro I always go only to their Site.

Here is Mint's site with all Versions.

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

I would never go to a torrent site.
Always stick with the site from the people that built it!
" Pray: Let the music of peace and harmony be heard everywhere. — Amma "
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

Well, yes, Chetan... I already downloaded their free version directly from the site.

I may break down and pay them the 19 Euros for the Ultimate version... after all, they aren't Big Redmond.

But if I do find a shared copy of 12.4 Ultimate, it will be tested on a standalone Lab Rat system, so no risk to the rest of the networked circus act.

So far, I have a 12.1 Ult in hand and it is clean.

Unlike Mobius, I have yet to adapt or transfer anything of real significance to a Linux daily driver environment.
ChetanG
Premium User
Premium User

Post by ChetanG »

OnTheLimit » 06 Mar 2019, 12:35 wrote:Well, yes, Chetan... I already downloaded their free version directly from the site.

I may break down and pay them the 19 Euros for the Ultimate version... after all, they aren't Big Redmond.

But if I do find a shared copy of 12.4 Ultimate, it will be tested on a standalone Lab Rat system, so no risk to the rest of the networked circus act.

So far, I have a 12.1 Ult in hand and it is clean.

Unlike Mobius, I have yet to adapt or transfer anything of real significance to a Linux daily driver environment.
Seriously, I have never heard of a Quality Linux Distro charging for a Ultimate version.

All the Disto's I use are from their site and you can change many options from within.

Good luck with finding the best version! :thumbup:
" Pray: Let the music of peace and harmony be heard everywhere. — Amma "
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

ChetanG » 06 Mar 2019, 12:50 wrote: Seriously, I have never heard of a Quality Linux Distro charging for a Ultimate version.

All the Disto's I use are from their site and you can change many options from within.

Good luck with finding the best version! :thumbup:
Zorin is up to 12.4 and yes unfortunately Chetan, Zorin has been charging for the Ultimate version :( since 10.x as far as I know. Core is always free. :ok:
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

I now have a good copy of Ultimate v12.3. For those wanting to test drive the paid Ultimate 12.3 version, the torrent for the .ISO can be had directly from here:

Code: Select all

https://www.teamos-hkrg.com/index.php?attachments/zorin-os-12-3-ultimate-64bit-torrent.3170/
Note that the link may be restricted to members, but establishing an account is easy and requires only a valid email address to which they send a confirmation email in order to activate it.

:think:

Maybe by next week I'll have sourced a copy of 12.4, one never knows one's luck!
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

OnTheLimit » 06 Mar 2019, 22:19 wrote:I now have a good copy of Ultimate v12.3. For those wanting to test drive the paid Ultimate 12.3 version, the torrent for the .ISO can be had directly from here:

Code: Select all

https://www.teamos-hkrg.com/index.php?attachments/zorin-os-12-3-ultimate-64bit-torrent.3170/
Note that the link may be restricted to members, but establishing an account is easy and requires only a valid email address to which they send a confirmation email in order to activate it.

:think:

Maybe by next week I'll have sourced a copy of 12.4, one never knows one's luck!
I started the torrent but as of right now it's not doing anything. :(
It would also be nice to find it in 32bit, while sourcing around. :thumbup:
Please consider Donating
Edmund Burke

Return to “Everything Linux”