LinuxMint 18 Download and Install (with encryption)

Discuss everything about Linux here!

Moderator: Community Moderator

MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

LinuxMint 18 Download and Install (with encryption)

Post by MrNiitriiX »

Not much need be said here...watch enjoy and i hope it helps out (especialy for those who have issues with failed downloads) ;)

Code: Select all

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King
Upload List
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Re: LinuxMint 18 Download and Install (with encryption)

Post by LghPuppy »

I have tried Mint 18 about a month ago and liked it, it was still in beta at the time.
I did like the face that it had the login encryption.
Just don't forget the password, write it down till you know it be heart.
It not like I would forget something like that. :angel:
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke
MARKING
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MARKING »

IDontHave1 » 14 Sep 2016, 10:41 wrote:I have tried Mint 18 about a month ago and liked it, it was still in beta at the time.
I did like the face that it had the login encryption.
Just don't forget the password, write it down till you know it be heart.
It not like I would forget something like that. :angel:
It's this better then Zorin OS 9?
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

I think it really comes down to personal preference. Mint has a very large following, and for good reason.

I personally like Zorin, and remember, there's version 10 available, too...

But both are very stable, and an increasingly viable option to using WinDoze. :icon_frown:
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
Möbius
Premium User
Premium User

Post by Möbius »

I've been running Mint Cinnamon 64bit for just under a year now. My second machine is Zorin OS 10 KDE 32bit.

Between the two there are significant differences. I prefer Mint as it seems much more solid. Plus, the Mint forums are usually pretty active.
Zorin has a slightly flat feel to it even though you can customise it, make it dance and sing. Zorin in my opinion, is slightly more Ubuntfied.
I am not really impressed with official Zorin forums and usually end up here :icon_arrow: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ if I get stuck.

The new Linux Mint 18, I have running in VirtualBox just to see what the differences are betwixt the two Mint OS's. To be honest, visually there is not a lot, but it runs on a more recent version of Ubuntu adding drivers etc. I am confident that in a couple of years I will be switching over to it.

I find that some things run better on one system than another, hence the two OS's. Weapons of choice.................

But, like OTL says, its down to personal preference.

My preference is Mint over Zorin (close 2nd place). I just wish my ISP would stop pis***g about so as I can try out the MrNiitriiX OS.

I like change, but not too much.

Use Linux And Relax
OnTheLimit
R.I.P
R.I.P

Post by OnTheLimit »

That's a pretty good overview, thanks Mobi!

I have to agree that from the informal support/community standpoint, Mint is probably the best choice, overall. This would be of great value to those of us who have been Windows-bound for many years but have elected to give Linux a thorough road test.

If you're like Mobi, you'll end up never using the rear view mirror again! :giggle:
Clicking the "Thanks" button is a great motivator and a much appreciated courtesy!
All member donations, no matter how small, go directly towards keeping the servers up and the lights on!
MrNiitriiX
Premium Uploader
Premium Uploader

Post by MrNiitriiX »

in my humble opinion i would have to recommend Mint out of these 2. The reason being that Zorin uses compiz for its "eye candy" which is nutoriouse for breaking things (which is the reason i have not uploaded the zorin clip yet as compiz breaks gnome-boxes when i try to change the resolution).

Dont foget they are both just ubuntu respins which is a debian respin...so you could get the Debian Stable and build it how you like it from the net installer iso.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Martin Luther King
Upload List
LghPuppy
GFX Team
GFX Team

Post by LghPuppy »

Been using Zorn 10 ultimate-64 on 1 laptop and Mint 18-32 Cinnamon beta on another.
Now seeing I'm new to the Linux world and have not been using any one distro I don't know if my option counts.
I like both of them but then I'm still learning them.
Zorn can be set up to almost look like windows (as far as start menu). I also has a nice dock feature, but this is mostly eye candy IMO.
I think you'll remember this laptop (HP), I had a lot of problems with the bios and the EFI booting.
The other laptop (Dell) has Mint 18 on it.
Mint isn't that hard to run and yes I do have to learn a lot more command language (sort of takes me back to the 80's). :giggle:

To say which is better then the other well only time will tell.
As for me, I do lean a little more towards to the mint.

In short this is mostly a repeat of just what Mobius and MrNiitriiX have said.
I did find where my HP had win8 on it and wouldn't run for sh**, now runs very smooth and quick.
Please consider Donating
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

Return to “Everything Linux”